Tuesday 9 April 2013

The Kailey Sheep

The wool we use comes from a sheep called the kailey. I don't know as much as I should do about this sheep and what I do know may be a bit iffy. But, I think it is unique to Chitral and it is interesting to environmentalists as it doesn't graze the high pastures since grazing the upper slopes of the Hindu Kush contributes to erosion and flash floods. It still gets succulent fodder from the high pastures though, as shepherds make the climb instead of their flocks and lovingly bring back sack loads of scythed grass for the waiting sheep. It must be worth it as the wool is very much prized and costs a lot more than comparable mountain wools.

As a tribute to this fine sheep and because I need something to print on to T-shirts I made a drawing of the Kailey....




No comments:

Post a Comment