Saturday 7 November 2015

Raincoat Pattern

It's been a depressingly long time since my last post... apologies to anyone who noticed. But I have been busy - a new website is just about to be ready - a post will follow when it is, and I have been working on a rain coat...

I plan to use denim for the raincoat and then treat it with water repellent, much like an old fashioned canvas tent. So it won't be waterproof against a prolonged downpour but it will fend off a standard London shower. I also want to use pure cotton rather than a rubberized material  so that I can print a design onto it - something which I have been wanting to do for some time after having been inspired by the adire cloths of Nigeria.
fashioned canvas tent. So it won't be

Below is what I have come up with (printed through an acetate stencil). I think I might use a lighter denim when I get a sample made. I hope that the imagery is self explanatory - the Hindu Kush meets South London.


The imagined raincoat

Sketched design

The print

As a pattern

No comments:

Post a Comment